Thursday, January 12, 2023

Poem for 1/12/23 - One for the Rose - by Philip Levine

 


One for the Rose

            (Published in The New Yorker, January 1, 1979) 

by Philip Levine


Three weeks ago I went back
to the same street corner where

27 years ago I took a bus for Akron,
Ohio, but now there was only a blank space
with a few concrete building blocks
scattered among the beer cans
and broken bottles and a view of
the blank backside of an abandoned hotel.

I wondered if Akron was still down there
hidden hundreds of miles south among
the small, shoddy trees of Ohio,
a town so ripe with the smell
of defeat that its citizens lied
about their age, their height, sex,
income, and previous condition
of anything. I spent all of a Saturday
there, disguised in a cashmere suit
stolen from a man twenty pounds
heavier than I, and I never unbuttoned
the jacket. I remember someone
married someone, but only the bride's
father and mother went out

on the linoleum dance floor and leaned

into each other like whipped school kids.

I drank whatever I could find and made
my solitary way back to the terminal
and dozed among the drunks and widows
toward dawn and the first thing north.

What was I doing in Akron, Ohio,
waiting for a bus that groaned slowly
between the sickened farms of 1951
and finally entered the smeared air
of hell on U.S. 24 where the Rouge plant
destroys the horizon? I could have been
in Paris at the foot of Gertrude Stein,
I could have been drifting among
the reeds of a clear stream,
like the little Moses, to be found
by a princess and named after a conglomerate
or a Jewish hero. Instead I was born
in the wrong year and in the wrong place
and I made my way so slowly and badly
that I remember every single turn,
and each one smells like an overblown rose,
yellow, American, beautiful, and true.


No comments:

Post a Comment