Tuesday, January 31, 2023


You and Snow
by Jim Moore

Like snow, I was born 
in the distant belly of a mother 
I never knew as well as when, 
point by lovely point, 
I was forming myself inside her. 
I came from nowhere, 
fell softly on new air. 
I did not know where the drift of weather 
or the iron tide of chance would carry me. 
I fell far beyond my own control, 
giddy with release. 
I was most myself 
in this my only falling 
onto our earth.
Snow's depth is the instant shape 
it gives a thing: what snow touches shifts,
just slightly, bringing the sweet pleasure
of merest change,
the way a human will touch a human
lightly on the wrist and that day
is different, slightly and forever:

I am one among many,
our lives linked, as drifting snow
 is linked, in mutual need and fallen beauty.

- from The Freedom of History (1988)

No comments:

Post a Comment