Thursday, August 4, 2022

Poem for 8/4/22 - Diptych #2 by Jim Morgan

Diptych #2


By Jim Morgan


  • For my father on his birthday, 2022


You and mom gave me two pictures

of me. Of you. Summer in Worms. 


One outside, upright, the German sky,

pale, late-sixties Kodachrome.


You, 6’4”, 240, in a dress shirt (of course), 

collar undone, newborn me in one arm,


your hand as large as my body, my arms

clenched above the swaddle


and eyes closed. Your mouth is open--

about to speak? Or just shocked at what


has landed in your arms? The other: inside, 

on a bed, with sixties green bedspread and


wooden headboard, your rugger’s head

emerging from a tight collar, skinny


military-issue tie. Lying down, unlike

your pose outside, but your fade is the same. 


Your hands--both of them this time--

envelop me, and your face--still amazed:


what is this creature and

what is this attachment to him?


Now I am twice as old as you were then, 

recognizing in you my younger self, a new father 


agape at my own unpredictable boys, more than

recognizing that baby, who could be anyone, 


who would be more than you bargained for, who

would become me because of your fierce 


if occasionally befuddled love.




No comments:

Post a Comment