Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Poem for 8/17/22 - Flip Flops and Mary Janes by Don Share

 FLIP FLOPS AND MARY JANES

by Don Share


If there's a bend, I'm going round it.

Nobody wants to die on a train,

but you're reading Best

New Horror when I haven't

even boned up on the old kind.

Hester told you, for example,

that all babies look like their daddies

for the first year so that their fathers

won't kill them. Uh-oh:

Some of us still, looking back,

look like our old man. Is this

why you've turned mean to me

as a rusty old bent nail?

It's hard, granted, for an introvert

to be a parent, and these are bad days.

I can see that, to be a hypochondriac.

I'm just trying to think the truth

in my own mind: the way red

fabric looks great on a woman's

skin... those two fluids, binary

explosives, constitute another foiled

plot: one's basic hurt. "It's Murphy's

Law, whatevs..." says a fellow passenger

going, like me, absolutely nowhere

because one obviously must go backward

to keep moving forward, which is key

to all real transit. No wonder some days

I feel like such a Freud, I mean fraud.

Even my oeuvre is all over,

my plosives expanded, my horizons

exploded. No, I did not try to hit

on her. That's all over, as well,

which is just as well. At my age they're

all pretty in pink; but lyrical? Hell.

Capable of devotion? All that perfume,

and lotion can't lather this old leather

anymore. As if they'd show me more

than just the door! Sudoku, loss

of libido, and far worse, I now wish

all the worst people all the best.

Is that not a palimpsest?

The guy next to me is coughing

on me... won't somebody show him

to his coffin, play him some King/Goffin

and send him packing so I don't have to hear

all this old-man hacking? It's like heckling

myself, like going incognito

when I don't even need to. So,

what's all this warfare for? Where's

my cane, Citizen? Don't send me limping

off again to war, I'm too old, and now

the train is finally moving again. It can't go

very far, but I've paid for my ticket,

and I start off on the right foot always.


No comments:

Post a Comment