Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Second Wife - by Eve Triem - Poem for 10/26/21

 Second Wife

by Eve Triem - from New as a Wave: A Retrospective: 1937-1983


Slowly he accepts ice cream...

between the half-teaspoons

I feed him

he talks of Daisy,

grammar school idol;

repeats the story

of his first wife Minna.


He has used up more life

than I can imagine: at sixteen

goldmined in Alaska, killed a thief

trying for his poke.


Ranched in Leavenworth,

befriended Indians

against his neighbors;

sold strawberries

to the railroad women. Lectured

on mind-enchantment to movie starlets,

was paid top prices for mystery stories.


I listen to his tales, a Desdemona

pitying, unbelieving - not really enraged

at the waste of my youth.


I burn in the flame of his cremation.

Sorting my ashes from his I wonder

what will I remember at my end:

not the boys I danced with,

not even the delight of his mind.

Surely a tree in the alley

lighted by a finch singing louder

than the din of ash-cans.


No comments:

Post a Comment