Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Poem for 7/5/22 - "Portrait of the poet as a young nerd" by Marge Piercy


Portrait of the poet as a young nerd

by Marge Piercy


At fourteen, at seventeen, at twenty-two

I chased myself through books.

I slipped into bodies of actresses,

mimicked their gestures, tried their smiles,

tilt of head, thrust of hip.


I could not find myself in any mirror.

I was not what I was supposed to be.

I did not look like anyone I saw.

My thoughts were weird as the monsters

superheroes killed in comic books.


As a girl I was a failure. I could

pick a lock but could not flirt.

Sports seemed pointless. Words

came easily, too easily, blabbing

me into tar pits of trouble.


I did not want to be a boy. Most

of them were imbeciles, I thought,

nor did I want to be a girl or woman.

Maybe I would grow up to be a cat.

Maybe I was an alien, a changeling.


I watched myself for extra powers

the ability to read minds, to leap

tall buildings, to look through walls

but found only a balky intelligence

and that slippery passion for words:


words talking in my head, words

building palaces along rusting

tracks of the Detroit Terminal Railroad.

Words had broader wings than pigeons,

bore the beaks and claws of eagles.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment